So I guess I've been posting a lot of pictures, but not been saying much! So here is a little update!
Yesterday, my family and I went to the London temple. It was very pretty. The temple was built about 60 years ago and it just BARELY started putting the angel Moroni on the top. Why? Well, we were talking to a temple worker and he told us about how they couldn't get permission from the city to put it up. They kept appealing and appealing but the city kept their answer a no. One day, one of the men on the city council pulled aside a man who wanted the angel Moroni put up. He said, "If you want them to say yes, here's what you do...." I don't know what he said to do, but the man appealed again and did as the man told him, and got permission to put it up. :)
Today after church, my family, the sister missionaries, mission president and his wife, and a boy named Alex who is 17 and is soon getting baptized, went to the bishops house for dinner. The sister missionaries are HILLARIOUS. Sister Bannister is from Idaho and is the type of person who will crank out Napoleon Dynamite quotes. (I laugh my head off because Napoleon Dynamite is THE funniest movie EVER.) Sister McGarvey is from Scotland and is a tough girl who is the wittiest person I've ever met. (Sorry Liz :P) She can immitate the American accent PERFECTLY. It's so funny because in a really girly voice she'll say, "Hi I'm Brook from the valley. I'm really enjoying my stay here and am looking forward to continue working as a missionary..." She and Sister Bannister both are experts in self defense. Sister Bannister has wrestled with sailors while Sister McGarvey has had a few fights with guys in Scotland and of course, beaten them. :) The two sister missionaries are have been teaching Alex for a few months and he is soon getting baptized at the end of this month.
The bishop of our ward created a Musical about two years ago. He directed it and composed all the music. He is sending it in to Salt Lake to see if it will be accepted to be performed at the Conference Center. It's about a handcart company who walked to Zion. (Sorry, I don't know much about it.)
School has been a bit of an...adventure haha. It's much different from LPA. They say the F word just like we would say "crap" or "stupid". I've talked to numerous people here and they said that in England, the F word isn't bad at all like it is in the states. I guess a really really really bad word here is "bugger." I have no idea what it means. I'm so sorry if any of you do and you're angry that I said it over my blog! But anyway, it's hard to understand the teachers before they talk so fast and I still haven't quite gotten used to the accent. We wear uniforms here, even though it's a public school. All public schools around here wear uniforms. We wear black pants, longs sleeve oxford shirt, black/navy sweatshirt, and a red tie. I hate it. We go to Kingshill which ranges from year 7-11. (Ages 12-16) When you finish year 11, you have a choice of continuing school or not. Finishing year 11 here is like finishing High School. Most kids start thinking seriously about their job when they are in year 10. I am in year 10 and Rachel is in year 9. The classes I am taking are Maths, History (which is European History which includes WWII and medicine and health of the victorian times), Music, Textiles, English, Science, and a free class period for me to do my Geometry.
I've made a few friends, not close friends though. I've noticed that not many kids at school have close friendships.
I can't think of anything else to say haha sorry but when I do, I'll write more.
Love you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
OMGsh I think that its so great that you are meeting all these new people! I am like really on the fence about going to another highschool next year. Im almost really wanting to. Im sick of being alone lol!!! Ok So thanks for the such insightful comment you left on my blog:) I love when people leave me comments:) I enjoy yours so much!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the updates! I love to hear about this you have no idea:) I love seeing how people function in other countries, if I could move to england i so would! Its not a whole different language so I wouldnt have to work that hard to learn it lol:)
I also love being the only one of me!
Attention you can clearly see that I thrive on it:)
I love ya and keep on posting!!!
Love yA!
I loved reading about the Sister Missionaries, they sound like riots. I LIKE your uniforms! Why don't the kids at school have close friends? That is kind of strange. Are they really close to their families?
ReplyDelete